Wednesday, June 5, 2013

6 Things to tell your insurance agent that could lower your bill

 


Recently I moved from a major city in which public transportation was my most logical means to get around.  (Perhaps you can relate?) Since I was no longer privy to public transpo.  I decided to lease one of our fine vehicles. Now, I’ll admit, insurance was the one thing I hadn’t researched before my purchase.  So needless to say two months later I realized I was getting hosed.  Has this happened to you?  Well I quickly came up with a game plan that might help to save you some money.  Read on to learn more.

1.)  Since I hadn’t been in an auto accident in over 2 years I began my negotiation there.  The agent looked at my record and gave me a discount.  I’ve become aware that insurance agents are on a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” mentality.

2.)  I am definitely over 25, so I was under the impression that I shouldn’t be paying more than when I first started driving.  The agent told me that policies go up and down as we age.  I pressed a little and was able to persuade the agent that I should be rewarded for the fact that I have never had a car accident in the entire 31 years I’d been driving and that my maturity shouldn’t be a benefit.  Moral: A little sniveling and groveling can put a little extra money in your back pocket!

3.)  Since I was leasing the car; I was allotted 12K miles per year.  I was a perfect candidate for a lease since I only drove to work and back less than 10 miles each day.    I asked again if there were any special rates for someone driving with that mileage that low.  The agent took off another chunk of money.  Moral: Getting lower insurance rates could be fun!

4.)  He asked if I had airbags all over the car and an alarm system.  I replied well most cars are built with airbags aren’t’ they?  I’m sure that my sarcasm was far from welcome. However,  I did purchase LoJack, which eliminated that hit.  Pow! Take that Insurer!

5.)  Next I asked if I was being charged for my credit?  The insurance agent explained that I was being charged additional fees for not having insurance for the past 2 years.  When I explained to him that I didn’t own a car for two years I was told that didn’t matter.  (Apparently you should buy insurance for invisible cars or insure air?).  I pleaded my case and explained that I had good credit and felt that this was unacceptable treatment.  Cha Ch’ing! They lowered my rate once again.

6.)  Last but not least; a big pet peeve of mine is drinking and driving.  Since I have never and I mean NEVER, gotten busted for DUI I politely asked the rep if I could get rewarded for having never gotten one of these offenses.   After the harps stopped playing and I took off my halo, the agent came back with a new payment that was $185 cheaper per month! 
Last moral: Ask and Ye shall receive.  I could have saved myself $688 had I done my research first.  While we don’t endorse insurance companies I am hoping that this might help save you some serious cash.  It never hurts to try!

For more information on automotive issues contact us at 301-656-9200

No comments:

Post a Comment